"Be the change you wish to see in the world" -Gandhi

"Stop Crying and Start HUSTLING!"

Yesterday I was having some trouble focusing in my business. After coming off the high from accomplishing my first speaking engagement on Tuesday, I have had a tough time regaining momentum. I have been exposing myself to the world through social media and you really learn a lot about yourself in doing so...the good and the bad! So began my pity party. I was having a tough time separating my true self versus my false self, or my "ego". I was getting into deep thinking about what people are thinking about me and who I am truly being and it was consuming me. I could not think about anything else and put all work aside. "What is my purpose?" I was asking myself.

How does one become authentic?

While I was throwing this question around in my mind, I heard a ding on my Macbook which means I had a new message in my inbox. A new message was awaiting for me in Facebook. Now I promised myself earlier not to check my Facebook because I was taking a break from it so I could work on "me". This message was not from the ordinary spammer. It captured my attention because it was from Bob Burg, the author of the "Go-Giver." I remember I had sent him a message earlier about recommendations about authenticity. What he sent back completely changed my day. He wrote,

"The neat thing about authenticity is that - since it is your very essence - it is not something you need to learn...only embrace."

WOW! So instead of worrying how to be authentic, I just have to embrace what I already have? My focus immediately changed. A thought then popped in my head from one of my idols Gary Vanerchuck. "Stop crying and start HUSTLING!" A smile came to my face and I got back to work. It is crazy how we can be our own worst enemy.

2 comments:

Genesis R said...

Most definitely Agree....I have many moments just like that myself....Your on point when you say we can be our worse enemy....Also Gary V is phenomenal to watch, love that guys stuff.

zoƫ said...

while reading your post i kept thinking, "It's funny how we can be our own worst enemies."

and then there you go with your last line, stealing my comment. LOL

great post.

z